Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Am I being selfish? Or can this long distance relationship work?

My boyfriend and i have been together now for about a year.





We met in my college town and have so much in common. Before i left, i basically told him that i love him and he said he felt the same way about me...here's where it gets messy





I decided to move home for the summer and fall semester for many reasons:


1. My sister's husband cheated and she is determined to divorce him. She has 3 children, no college degree, and hasn't worked in 6 years. I felt like i needed to move home, save for myself, and help her get back into school and on her feet


2. I lived with an alcoholic this past year at school and picked up some bad habits from her. Like, when i had a bad day i wanted to drink, i started partying everynight, my gpa dropped, etc. Alcoholism runs in my family and i felt like this would give me the chance to correct my bad habits and get back on the right path





This is totally temporary...end of the summer, maybe December. I am trying to help out my family and still be there for my boyfriend. I have been going down every other weekend, i text him everyday, i talk to him everyday, and i'm getting ready to send him his first package.





But he keeps saying how hard this is for him and how it isn't fair and how he is lonely. Am i being selfish asking him to endure? I'm feelings the same things, but i guess b/c i care it seems worth it to me.Am I being selfish? Or can this long distance relationship work?
If he says that it's hard for him, then it is. He may want it to be worth it and he may love you. But love can't just be there, it has to be physical too sometimes. The hugging, the kissing, the holding, the love making. All of it. Hell, I'm away from my boyfriend for a few days and I start getting impatient with him.





I've tried long distance things in college. Going home for the summer and leaving the boyfriend behind. It never worked out. Sure, in a perfect world it would. But if he's unhappy and it's going to cause you stress to think about it to this extent, it may not be worth it. You can always see what happens when you get back to school with him.Am I being selfish? Or can this long distance relationship work?
I don't think your being selfish... I think he might be by adding extra stress on to you. Separation can occur and it will either make or break the relationship. Not to sound lame or cliche, but if he truly loves you, then he won't mind enduring the miles apart while you help out your family and get your feet back on the ground. My husband and I started ';dating'; with over 600 miles between us. When we got married, he spent most of the first year half way across the world (military). I didn't pout or cry about it. Yes, I missed him terrible, but I knew why and accepted it as short term. The way I looked at it was yes, we may be apart for 6 months or so but that's nothing compared to the life time we still have in front of us to spend together, side by side. It's worked out well for us, we just celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary. I hope this helps you!
Yes long distance relationship can be tiresome and might sound meaningless to people...But if both of you love each other and wish to stay committed , then a long distance relationship might work out..





You say that this is temporary, so you should be able to be with him soon...Yes, it can be hard on him, just give him hope, he will sure be feeling lonely without you, but that cant be helped right now, you don't have many choices...





No, you are not being selfish , it just is hard for you now, good luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment