Friday, August 20, 2010

Help! My father in law is an alcoholic and is threatening my family.

My husband, daughter, three step children and I live with my father in law and his wife. he has a terrible problem with alcohol and repetedly verbally abuses all of us. He also has many bouts of anger. I am very concerned because I do not want to raise our children in this enviornment, but we are financially unable to move out of his home. We would be able to leave and move in with my parents in another state until we got back on our feet, but my husband is unable to move his children out of California because of his childrens visitation with their mother. I am so worried about all of us, but I know that I would be able to take our daughter to be safe if I she and I left. I am not sure if it is best to stay and wait ( I dont know how long) and try to get out of there together, or if I should take my child and leave. Please give me your best advice.Help! My father in law is an alcoholic and is threatening my family.
No, it is not a healthy environment to rear kids in. The stress must be palpable. CA is expensive and a lot of the manufacturing base has moved.





Your husband needs to have a frank talk with his ex about either moving out of state or letting her take the kids to stay in CA (or until your husband can get reestablished), just to keep the kids out of abuse. Everyone needs to put aside their differences and think of the kids. If the ex won't deal, then he really needs to talk to the court and ask for assistance in this matter... the judge must consider the kids first and foremost.





If your husband is intending to stay pat right there, maybe your taking your daughter and leaving will be just the right thing to light a fire under him.Help! My father in law is an alcoholic and is threatening my family.
why, oh why would you keep your kids there? go to the state ask for help but get out of that house for your kids sake!!.
If you are that afraid of your father in law, I would take my daughter and leave.





Could your parents help you get a place of your own so all of you could move out? If they can't afford to help you financially but are willing for you and your daughter to live with them, pack your bags and go. There is no sense in all of you being miserable.





Maybe when you get to your parents house you can get a job and save enough money to get your husband and step children out also.





There is nothing you can do about an alcoholic unless they want to help themselves. I'm surprised your mother n law is still living with him and taking all he wants to dish out.





Good luck to all of you!!



Better to go to social services, get a list of resources, and get assistance to get out of there a.s.a.p. Many churches help in situations like this. Even tenting it could be an adventure rather than living in that enviroment- who knows how it will affect your child? I do want to add that some of the worst situations I have been in have propelled me into action that has turned out wonderful. Hang in there and do what you need to do because once you do it will get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment