Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you guys cope with an alcoholic family memeber.....?

We have went the whole 9 yards to try to live/work around this person....OMG....no way!!!! What have you done to cope with this problem...Dr.s can't help.How do you guys cope with an alcoholic family memeber.....?
Just accept them. You've done your job. Nothing else you can do.How do you guys cope with an alcoholic family memeber.....?
My mother was addicted to prescription drugs. I told her that I resented that I had to take care of her because she refused to do it herself. So, she told me to just leave her alone. I got real close to her face and I said, ';You know damn well that I won't leave you if you need help. Dad taught us better than that. So if you choose to stay in this mess, you are sentencing your children to clean it up. You either pull yourself together, or watch us clean up after you';.





After hearing that we would aggressively clean up after her (even if we weren't nice about it), she decided to really reclaim her independence, and she has been sober with the help of the 12 step program. But she had to want it, and she had to feel as if she were in a corner, because she was. And it came to a point where even her drugs could not diminish that fact any longer.





All in all, it took intervention after intervention and a refusal to abondon her, even when I wanted to.





Hope this helps a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment