Friday, August 20, 2010

How do you deal with?

an alcoholic grandmother.


ive lived with her since i was little, because my mom has always had financial problems.


but my gma is great she does everything for me, and is always there but every night she drinks way too much, and gets really annoying, and ive been dealing better but i get annoyed very easily. and i dont know how to handle it better. Im concerned about her health also because her doctor told her to drink less but she doesnt. what do i do?How do you deal with?
talk to your grandmother face to face be serious and mean what you say she should not drink like that at her age if that does not work the next step is to get the family together and talk with her to let her no how serious it is let her no that you care and that she has a family that loves her dearly she noes that she is hurting you and her self but who noes why she drinks so much there is something hurting your grandma find out quick take careHow do you deal with?
Alcoholism is a serious problem. You can't do anything to help her until she realizes that she has a problem. Maybe sit her down and talk with her. Tell her that you love her and are thankful for everything that shes done for you... but you are concerned about her health. If you don't feel comfortable sitting down and talking to her right off the bat... maybe start making little comments every time she breaks out the bottle. ';Jeez grandma... another drink?';... just something that will make her think twice before she pours. Then maybe if she ignores the comments that's when you need to sit her down to talk.





Good luck :(
I mean, she raised her kids and she should be able to do what she wants. That sounds harsh, but look at it from her end, she is old and has been prob drinking like that her whole adult life, what is the point of changing now. If its annoying, deal with it. It doesnt sound like she is hurting you at all.





Good Luck
I have a close relative that is an alcoholic. They dont realize it though. They've lost 2 marriages, 3 children, 2 houses, countless jobs and all their syblings. Not to mention jail time, tickets and DUI's. Yet, they do not realize they are the common denominator.





The answer to your question is nothing. Making commnets about her drinking will more than likely just fuel her drinking. For instance, when I use to smoke ppl would say, wow another cig? Dont you know you're killing yourself. Yes I knew what I was doing, but I wasn't ready to quit. And when ppl made those comments it just made me want to do it more.





My suggestion is this, talk with her when she's sober and make sure she understands you're not trying to 'change' her, you're just concerned. Nothing more can be said or done. You cant not change anyone, nor make them see it your way. Unfortunatley, you have to accept her the way she is, alcohol and all.





I know how hard this is, and how heart breaking it is.... I had to let the person in my life go... And I think about them everyone once in a while... But I know in my heart of hearts there was nothing I could have done and there was nothing I could have done to change them.

No comments:

Post a Comment