Friday, August 20, 2010

How can I tell if my boyfriend is an alcoholic or if he just ';enjoys'; a few drinks nearly every night?

Every night he is home after work, he drinks what he refers to as a ';few drinks';--1-6 beers. Last night I asked him to please don't drink everyday but on occasion with friends or whatever, and he didn't listen. It really hurt me. I asked him why he didn't listen to me and he said because he wants to have a ';few';. I think he may have a serious problem and don't get me wrong, I love him to death and he loves me. He is a great provider and helps me and all, but its just hard. He is so wonderful to my family..(Mom, dad, sister, grandparents). He just doesn't understand that it is hurting me. I have never known anyone who drinks a six pack a day and calls them a ';few'; drinks. I really love him but it is hurting me. I already have a friend who drinks more then a ';few'; and he is a full blown alcoholic. I don't want the one I love and live with to be like him. What should I do?How can I tell if my boyfriend is an alcoholic or if he just ';enjoys'; a few drinks nearly every night?
he's an alcoholic if alcohol interferes with his daily functioningHow can I tell if my boyfriend is an alcoholic or if he just ';enjoys'; a few drinks nearly every night?
Why is that hurting you? Even if he does have 6, why is that a problem to you? If he was getting drunk and abusive and/or missing work or it was adversely effecting your life I could understand it, but you haven't said any reason why you feel it's a problem.
he is an alcoholic if he is hiding drinks and drinking during the day and stuff. if he is only drinking around his friends thendon't worry aboutit.
He's an alcoholic if he ';needs'; at least one per day and it changes his mood if he dosn't get it.
maybe you coudl find out if his phone has drunken texts hehe, but that'd be a little sneaky
Girl i could tell the difference when my man went crazy over a tiny misunderstanding and got physical **** THAT but i put him in check its not like that anymore I love him so much u just have to decide if its worth it mama. The #1 first thing you need to do is attend an Al-Anon meeting, seriously they really help. If he is a alcoholic then that makes you a co-dependent, which is not at all a bad thing you just need help of your own if you are going to deal with the situation and make it last and work out with your man.


P.S. DEFINITION OF:


alcoholic-needing to have at LEAST 1 beer or drink a day


drinking problem-when if interferes with everyday life and becomes a problem but u refuse to stop!!
My mom, (who is an alcoholic %26amp; has been sober for 30+years), says one of the ways you can tell if someone is an alcoholic is whether or not they can have one drink and stop for the evening. Even though there are a few who only drink when it's not a work day, once they do lift the bottle, they drink until they're totally drunk. (The alcoholics refer to this as ';one drink, one drunk.';)


If you ask me, you need to look at hanging your hat someplace else, as this could get a whole lot worse before it gets better. That is, IF it gets better down the road at all.


You should go to an AlAnon meeting and get some advice and insight there.
it sounds like he definitely has a chemical dependency on alcohol, even if he's not becoming violent or anything.





Try have another serious talk with him. Tell him that his drinking is hurting you. Make sure he knows that his habit is affecting your relationship. Ask him if the beer is more important to him than you. If he answers the beer, then it's time to find a new boyfriend.
I don't know if he's really an alcoholic... if he isn't actually getting drunk every night or it isn't messing with his social/work life then it might be he just likes to drink a lot.





BUT


since it does bother you, you might need to have an intervention. but seeing as he doesn't listen when it's just you talking, you'll need to get other people on board.


Try to get one of his friends to talk to him in a man to man sort of way.





perhaps then he'll see it's not just you and make the effort to change.
Wake up sweetie. Your boyfriend is an alcoholic. He is a functioning alcoholic such as being able to put on a good face around family and friends, able to work hard and keep a job, but he is still an alcoholic. It's not an easy life for someone who lives with an alcoholic as you are finding out. It's not much of a good life with their favorite activity being sitting around and drinking. You haven't had any physical abuse yet, but you are getting the verbal end of it. That can change for the worse if he continues.





He understands that he is hurting you. He just loves his booze more than he cares about how you feel. Get used to it. If he won't stop, this is your life and it only gets worse. You have the choice to go or stay. I would hope that you would want something better for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment