Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you deal with a spouse who has an eating disorder?

My husband has an eating disorder. He over eats. He doesn't make himself barf or anything like that. He complains that he is 315+ pounds but sits in front of the computer all day and eats and games. I have talked to him about this and other matters. I know he's depressed. I know he has issues. I have tried to talk to him, I have to hide some goodies from him, although I mostly buy healthy foods, i do on occassion buy goodies.





How can I deal with this? It's not like he's an alcoholic and he can stop and keep living. We all need food to live... but he can't control himself.





He doesn't eat a lot in front of others and tells people he doesn't eat a lot, but when we all go to bed and he's gaming until 3am, he'll eat a whole package of cookies or twinkies or something, if he finds it all. Even a whole package of crackers if he can't find the sweets.





I don't know what to do for him anymore. It's not like he's a kid and I can control his portions etc, he's in his 30s!!!!How do you deal with a spouse who has an eating disorder?
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do until he decides he has a problem and wants to change.How do you deal with a spouse who has an eating disorder?
Talk to him more-- have more quality time with him. Join a gym or just exercise outside with him. It's not for appearances-- it's for his health the rest of his life. Talk it out with him-- explain that one of the reasons you got married is because you can grow that way in love and encouragement. Tell him that he is beautiful to you, and that nothing will ever change that. Explain to him that you are worried about his health risks. People with eating disorders oftimes just need to be held and reassured. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment