Monday, August 16, 2010

How do Personal Protection Orders (PPO) work?

My little brother has been living with my alcoholic father since I went away to college and my mom left 3 years ago.


Ive known its a bad situation but this weekend things got physical. I had gone home for the weekend and my little brother and I decided to get away from the alcohol and went to my grandmothers house for the night.


My father (drunker than ever) came over was dragging my brother around (many marks all over his arms---some bruises) and then let him go to come after me--As I tried to call 911 he grabbed the phone from me threw it down, proceeded to throw me against a wall and choke me. then throw me on the table to hit me before my grandmother stepped in and my dad stumbled away. It was the scariest situation I have ever been in. The cops got involved and they heard everything on dispatch, the police are pressing charges but my father has threatened to beat my brother severely when he gets out for us doing this to him.


I know I can get a PPO against my father--the police told me to, but how do we get one for my 13 year old brother so he doesnt have to put up with that?How do Personal Protection Orders (PPO) work?
Go to the victims advocate through the law enforcement agency who arrested your father or contact your state department of families and children, an order of protection would mean the 13 year old could not reside with your father but it sounds like that would be good, there are other agencies who will help and the police department can direct you to them.~

No comments:

Post a Comment